|Job title||Parish Secretary (Part-time)|
|Reports to||The incumbent and rector’s and people’s wardens|
The Parish Secretary will ensure the efficient administration of the parish office, assisting the Incumbent and Churchwardens and other clergy and staff in parish administration and be responsible for the accurate accounting and reception of parish income and expenditures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Update Donation and QuickBooks on a weekly basis
- Issue all cheques including tracking deductions and vacation pay on pay cheques
- Issue tax receipts
- Prepare approximately monthly financial reports for corporation
- Perform year-end related bookkeeping functions including completing the parochial return
- Send invoices and receive rent and expense cheques
- Assist with annual audit
- Process and coordinate rental inquiries working with the incumbent on scheduling and rental policies
- Track and order office, building, and worship supplies
- Coordinate with regular tradespeople around repairs
- Take minutes at meetings of corporation and advisory board
- Maintain files (including financial, building-related, and service leaflets)
Qualifications and Requirements
- Highly organized
- Friendly and able to relate to many kinds of people
- Good spoken and written communication skills
- Flexible and able to work in a busy environment
- Familiar with financial statements and budgets
- Familiar with Donation and QuickBooks
- Experience in payroll an asset
- Experience in administration for a charitable organization an asset
- Familiarity with Anglican liturgy and polity an asset
- Ability to complete Diocesan police record check and sexual misconduct training
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
Parish secretary will be expected to work 15 hours per week with slight seasonal variation. Ideally the candidate will be able to work at least one business day per week. Days and times for remaining hours can be negotiated.
St Stephen-in-the-Fields has a particular ministry with people who are marginalized and street-involved, and who may be dealing with mental health and/or addiction challenges. The primary ministry work will be carried out by the incumbent and the parish deacon, assisted by lay members of the congregation, but the parish secretary will be expected to deal respectfully with everyone who visits the church, and may at times need to deal with challenging behaviours. We can provide training in this area, but a high degree of sympathy with this difficult ministry is essential.
St. Stephen-in-the Fields is a diverse and affirming church therefore the candidate must be able to welcome and work closely with all people regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or cultural background.
To learn more about the parish and our Ministries please visit our website: saintstephens.ca/
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resumé and cover letter to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline to apply is January 31, 2019
We thank all who apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.